If you have a driving licence from one of the 31 approved foreign countries (see www.dubai.ae for the full list), there is no requirement to take lessons or retake a driving test in order to obtain a licence to drive here. The administrative process is easy, too.
Documents you need:
• Passport for residents (original and copy)
• Residence permit copy
• Current driving licence (original and copy)
• Translation of driving licence (for some countries)
• Consulate letter (for Canadians)
• One passport photo
• Eye test certificate. This can be done at any hospital, clinic or optician
• Dhs410 for transfer fee and opening a driving file
• No-objection letter from your sponsor
Take all your documents, originals and copies to your nearest RTA Centre. On arrival, fill in an application form and submit all documents to the officer. Pay the cashier and submit all the information and you’ll be the proud possessor of a driving licence in minutes.