UAE healthcare group Mediclinic Middle East has launched a blood donation drive, asking eligible adults in Dubai and Abu Dhabi to volunteer to give blood.
“In order to try to boost supplies, Mediclinic has arranged a number of blood donation drives across the country, and we invite you to come and give blood.
“All donations are conducted in a completely safe environment, with stringent infection control measures in force.”
Donation drives are taking place at the following locations and times:
• Mediclinic Welcare Hospital: Wednesday June 3, 9am-2pm
• Mediclinic City Hospital: Sunday June 7, 9am-2pm
• Mediclinic Dubai Mall: Sunday June 7, 9am-2pm
• Mediclinic Parkview Hospital: Wednesday June 10, 9am-2pm
• Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital: Wednesday June 3, 9am-2pm
According to Mediclinic, these are its donation eligibility guidelines:
• Blood donors should have valid emirates ID (MANDATORY). Those on a visit visa or transit visa to the UAE are not eligible to give blood. Kindly provide the mobile number in which we can contact the donor directly if needed.
• Blood donor should be in good general health condition at the time of blood donation.
• Blood donors should be between the ages 18-65.
• Blood donors should have a body weight of at least 50kg and above (donors who are less than 21 years old must be 55kg and above).
• All blood donors should have enough sleep on the previous day of donation.
• All blood donors should have healthy food within four hours of donation. Avoid fatty foods like egg, mutton, butter, cheese etc. for at least 12 hours before donation.
• It is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women to donate blood.
• Donors should not have visited a malaria endemic country within one month of donation.
Those who cannot donate blood include:
• A person who has been diagnosed with or suspected of having COVID-19.
• A person who has lived with or has been exposed to a person who is diagnosed with or suspected of having COVID-19.
Those who cannot donate blood for 28 days include:
• A person with any travel history.
• Those who have history of malaria are not eligible to donate.
Further health requirements may need to be met, so if you're unsure about your eligibility call ahead before visiting to make a donation.
For more information, visit mediclinic.ae.