Here's a classic iftar dish recipe from Spinneys that you can whip together at home in your own kitchen – and you can enjoy even more knowing that you cooked it yourself.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
• 2 leeks, roughly chopped
• 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
• 5cm piece ginger, finely grated
• 2 tbsp spinneysFOOD Fine Turmeric
• 1 tsp spinneysFOOD Fine Cumin
• 180g spinneysFOOD Masoor Dal
• 1 tin spinneysFOOD Chopped
• Italian Tomatoes
• 1.5L chicken or vegetable stock
• 1 lemon, juiced and zested
• 10g spinneysFOOD Fresh Parsley, torn
1 Preheat a slow cooker or a large cast-iron saucepan over a medium heat and sautéthe leeks, carrots, garlic and ginger in a generous glug of olive oil for five minutes or until lightly browned.
2 Add the spices and stir, cooking for one minute.
3 Stir in the lentils, tomatoes and vegetable stock.
4 Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, keeping the soup at a gentle simmer.
5 Cook, stirring every now and then, for 25 to 30 minutes or until the soup has thickened and the lentils have broken down.
6 Season well and stir in the lemon juice and zest, as well as the parsley. Serve immediately.
For more recipes click here.