Missing the city’s best bars? Dubai’s award-winning A Capella (home to Time Out Dubai’s Best Bar Food 2020) has revealed the recipe behind its magnificent Japanese-style lamb chops with miso dip.
Here’s how to make them at home…
Japanese-style lamb chops with miso dip
Prep time: 45 minutes (plus overnight marination)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the lamb marinade:
• 1-1.5kg lamb rack
• 50g chopped carrot
• 50 chopped onion
• 25 chopped celery
• 25g chopped leeks
• 15g chopped ginger
• 5g chopped thyme
• 10g chopped spring onions
• 10g chilli flakes
• 25ml light soy sauce
• 10g shichimi togarashi
• 5g crushed black pepper
• 100ml soya bean oil
• Salt to taste
Ingredients for the miso dip:
• 50g yogurt
• 25g sour cream
• 10g honey
• 20g peanuts, crushed
• 10g miso paste
• 5ml sesame oil
• 5g spring onions, chopped
• 5g fresh coriander, chopped
Method for the lamb:
• Clean the lamb rack by removing excess fat and cut it into individual single bone chops.
• Mix all the above ingredients for the lamb marinade in a large mixing bowl making a thick marinade and adjusting its consistency with oil.
• Add the cleaned lamb chops in it and mix them, making sure that each chop is coated with the marinade.
• Refrigerate for 12-14 hours, so that the chops can absorb the flavours of the marinade.
• Remove the lamb chops an hour before cooking.
• Cook the lamb chops over open charcoal grill (if you have a barbecue, alternatively griddle on the stove over a high heat), to your preferred temperature.
• Take the remaining marinade from the bowl, put it in a pan and heat it until the oil is separated. Discard the excess oil and put the hot marinade on each chop before serving. Serve with the miso dip.
Method for the miso dip:
• Add the miso dip ingredients in a bowl, without the spring onions and coriander. Whisk them until they are mixed evenly.
• Once mixed, add the spring onion and coriander and stir gently. Adjust the seasoning with salt.
For more recipes from Dubai’s best restaurants, click here.