Reif’s Japanese Kushiyaki – from celebrated Dubai chef Reif Othman – was crowned Best Casual Newcomer at the Time Out Dubai Restaurant Awards earlier this year, and for good reason. The Dar Wasl restaurant may be small in size, but it’s big on flavour.
Here’s how to make chef Othman’s beef kushi skewers at home, with an indulgent dressing of truffle mayo.
Angus beef kushi with truffle mayonnaise
Serves one (makes two skewers)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
• 100g Angus beef (fillet, ribeye or sirloin), cut into strips
• 40g ponzu (available from www.1004gourmet.com)
• 200g Japanese mayo (Kewpie)
• 25g truffle oil (available to order through Italtouch)
• 25g truffle juice (as above)
• 10g Japanese rice vinegar
• 11g light soy sauce
• 6g lemon zest
• 5g mirin
• 5g minced garlic
• 5g fresh truffle or sliced jar truffle (as above)
• Divide the meat slices and thread onto two wooden skewers (if barbecuing, soak the skewers in water beforehand to avoid the ends catching alight). Set to one side.
• Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl to create your truffle mayonnaise.
• Grill the beef kushi to your preferred temperature, either over a barbecue, under the broiler or over a griddle pan.
• Once cooked, drizzle with truffle mayo and garnish with chopped chives or spring onion.
Prefer to order the dish in? Click here.
For more recipes from Dubai’s best restaurants, click here.