folly by Nick & Scott is the current holder of Time Out Dubai’s Best European title, won in February this year at the Time Out Dubai Restaurant Awards 2020. While we may not be able to grab a perch and take in those Madinat views right now, chefs Nick Alvis and Scott Price have shared the recipe for one of their favourites so we can all attempt it at home.
Looking for a challenge? Here’s how to make this one…
Crispy hen’s egg with cepe mushroom salad and malt vinegar caramel
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the crispy egg:
• 2 large hen’s eggs (as fresh as possible)
• 100g fresh breadcrumbs (panko preferable)
• 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
• 50g seasoned flour
For the vinegar caramel:
• 50g sugar
• 50ml malt vinegar
For the cepe purée:
• 1kg cepe mushrooms
• 150g butter
• 50 demarara sugar
• 250g chicken stock
• 50g cream
• 10g salt
For the mixed leaf salad:
• 50g mixed salad leaves
• Poach the eggs in gently boiling water for 4 mins until the white has just cooked through but the yolk is still very soft.
• Remove from the boiling water and plunge straight into ice cold water to stop the eggs cooking any further for a further 3-4 mins.
• Remove from the eggs from the ice water and pat dry with tissue, remove any loose egg white and discard.
• Roll the eggs in a little flour then the egg wash then breadcrumbs, and then repeat the egg and breadcrumbs. Keep in the fridge until ready to cook.
• For the vinegar caramel, use a small sauté pan with a think base, heat the sugar on a high heat until a nice golden caramel is formed, remove from the heat and immediately add the vinegar, stir constantly until cooled and a runny consistency is formed, if too think add a little hot water until required consistency is achieved.
Cepe purée method:
• Sauté the mushrooms in a hot pan with a little olive oil, butter and salt until golden brown, add the sugar, caramelise, then add stock an reduce, repeat with the cream.
• Purée and pass through a fine sieve checking the seasoning is correct.
• Deep fry the egg in hot oil (180°C) for approx 90 seconds. Remove and keep warm
• Serve on the plate with the dressed salad, mushroom purée and vinegar caramel
For more recipes from Dubai’s best restaurants, click here.