From the team behind Dubai’s multi-award-winning Italian restaurant Il Borro Tuscan Bistro, Alici Dubai opened in 2019 on Dubai’s Bluewaters island development. Meaning ‘anchovies’ in Italian, Alici sure knows its way around these tiny fish. Just one of the reasons it was crowned Dubai’s Best Seafood restaurant earlier this year.
Here, the restaurant shares a recipe using its namesake ingredient for you to make at home…
Spaghetti alici e mollica
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
• 2 garlic cloves
• 150g sourdough bread (crust removed) cut into very small cubes
• Grated zest of half a lemon
• 80ml extra virgin olive oil
• 8 anchovy fillets (in oil)
• 1 Calabrian chilli
• 400g spaghetti(Gentile brand, if you can get it)
• Finely chopped parsley
• Finely chopped dill
• 20g capers
• 20g taggiasca olives
• 4 datterino tomatos
• Very thinly slice one garlic clove and set aside. In a food processor, add the second garlic clove together with some olive oil and blend until finely chopped. Add the bread and lemon zest and pulse the blender until coarse crumbs form; season with salt and pepper.
• Heat 30ml of oil in a large pot over medium heat and cook the breadcrumb mixture, stirring often, until golden brown and crisp. This should take about 5 minutes. Transfer breadcrumb mixture and set aside.
• Heat remaining olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Cook the sliced garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden. After around 1 minute, add the anchovies and chilli, and cook for around 1 minute, stirring until the anchovies are dissolved.
• Finally, add capers, olives and datterino tomatoes to the pan, and set aside.
• Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until almost al dente (about 3 minutes).
• Using tongs, transfer pasta to the pan containing your sauce along with a bit of pasta cooking liquid. Cook for about 3 more minutes, tossing often to emulsify until pasta is “al dente”.
• Remove from heat, add your chopped parsley and dill.
• Divide pasta among plates, Top with breadcrumb mixture and garnish with dill, lemon zest and a fillet of anchovy… e il piatto e’ pronto! (and the dish is ready!).
For more recipes from Dubai’s best restaurants, click here.