For the pan-fried quail
4 baby quails (available at Spinneys or Choithrams)
4 blanched Savoy cabbage leaves
80g apple compote
100ml full cream
5ml vanilla essence
For the sauce
100g mirepoix (diced carrot, celery and white onion)
100ml red grape
500ml veal jus (available at Spinneys or Choithrams)
For the cabbage roll
1. Blanch four cabbage leaves in salt water, refresh in ice water.
2. Peel and dice apples. Cook slowly with the sugar and water until soft.
3. Stuff the cabbage and roll them up.
For the parsnip puree
1. Cook the finely sliced parsnip in milk and cream on a slow simmer.
2. Strain the liquid and add. Blend the parsnip to a puree with the vanilla and seasoning.
3. Add some of the liquid to make it a nice consistency.
For the quail
1. Pan-fry the quail and cook in a preheated oven for 10 mins at 180˚C.
2. Add the butter to the pan and baste the quail before serving.
3. Add the cabbage leaf to the pan to warm two minutes before serving.
4. For the parsnip crisp, shallow fry parsnip peelings and fry to a golden colour and drain on a paper towel. Serve with the thyme jus.