Two ducks, each around 1-1.5kg
230g bacon pieces
170g small button onions (12+)
500ml duck stock
1 tbsp chopped sage
1 tbsp chopped mint
1 tbsp chopped parsley
450g frozen peas
1 head of lettuce (round)
Salt and pepper to taste
• Put the giblets into the stock and leave to gently simmer for 30 minutes.
• Cut the bacon into thick lardons, around ie 2.5cm x 2.5cm.
• Melt 30g butter and add the lardons.
• Add the button onions and gently colour along with the lardons. When nicely coloured, take out and put to one side.
• Prick the ducks all over and rub with a little salt.
• Colour in the same pan as the lardons and onions, and take out of pan.
• Drain off all fat and put ducks back in the pan.
• Strain the stock into the pan.
• Bring to the boil and cover with a lid on.
• Put in oven at 160˚C and cook for one hour.
• Add the button onions and lardons and braise for a further 15 minutes.
• Take the ducks out and allow to rest, keep warm and remove excess fat.
• Shred the lettuce into strips and add the sauce with the peas and the herbs.
• Reduce the sauce by one third and correct the seasoning and consistency.
• Monte au beurre with 55g butter.
• Carve the ducks and put on a flat surface.
• Pour sauce over and serve.