Located in the heart of Jumeirah Beach Residence, Speakeasy Bar & Restaurant is a relaxing place to unwind after work. Decked out in wood panels, the venue captures the style of 1920s America during the Prohibition era. Memorabilia of the time adorn the walls, while patrons can take a seat at the long, elegant bar underneath old-world chandeliers. Speakeasy serves a selection of burgers and grills along with a wide choice of beverages. Adding to the atmosphere is live music six nights a week, including acoustic performances and DJs.
French chef Romuald Marie has over 25 years’ experience in international hospitality, including a number of hotel openings. Romuald studied classic French cooking before going on to work with several Michelin-star chefs. He has been working in various locations since 1991, including time in the UK and US. Since 1997 Romuald has been at home in the Middle East for renowned hotel chains such as IHG, Starwood, Sheraton and Le Méridien. Since 2012 he has been Executive Chef at Ramada Plaza JBR, responsible for all the bar and dining outlets at the hotel.
Open daily 12.30pm-3am. Dress code: casual. Ramada Plaza Jumeirah Beach Residence, Dubai Marina, www.ramadaplazajbr.com (04 439 8888).
J. Wellington Wimpy – The Quarter Pounder California Burger
1.6kg ground beef
20g fresh butter
20g white flour
30ml Worcestershire sauce
50ml corn oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 burger buns
50g fresh tomato slices
50g cheddar cheese slices
50g onions sliced
50g beef bacon slices
10g Dijon mustard
• In a large bowl, mix the minced beef, butter, flour, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, salt, pepper and corn oil.
• Make patties of 200g each.
• Pan fry or grill the patties and separately fry the eggs and beef bacon slices.
• Mix the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
• Spread the mustard and mayonnaise on the bottom half of the bun, then place the patties (two per burger), a cheddar cheese slice, beef bacon slices, tomato slices, onion rings, sliced gherkins and fried egg.
• Place the top half of the bun and serve.
If you are grilling the patties, do it on a low fire to avoid the patties becoming dry and to retain the juiciness of the meat.