2 large onions
4x 90-112g pieces of chuck steak
For the sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sprig of thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tomatoes cut into 8
1 bottle of red wine
600ml veal or beef jus
Salt and pepper
• Peel and finely slice the 2 large onions then cook slowly in a heavy bottomed pan until golden and caramelized.
• To make the sauce, melt a knob of butter in a braising pan. Add the chopped onion, carrot, sprig of thyme and bay leaf. Cook for 5-10 minutes, allowing to slightly colour and begin to soften. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for a few minutes. Pour on the bottle of red wine and bring to the boil. Once boiling, allow to reduce by half. Add the jus and bring to the simmer.
• While the sauce is being put together, season the beef pieces with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan with the cooking oil. Once hot, add the beef. Sear and colour on all sides, before adding to sauce in the braising dish.
• Bring to the simmer, cover with a lid and place in the middle of the oven at 160c for 2 hours until the beef becomes tender.
• Once cooked lift the meat from the dish, strain the sauce through a sieve, add the caramelized onions, check the seasoning and pour back over the meat.