The international fashion stylist to the stars
The spring/summer must-haves
1 Balenciaga’s antique clock-inspired watch – the statement piece of the season.
2 Dior’s white parka with a masculine edge.
3 Safari-themed tribal jewellery from Armani.
4 Louis Vuitton’s Eastern-influenced coat in an electric orange print with belted sleeves and an obi-like belt.
5 Balenciaga creeper-ish flat shoes.
Buy for your body…
• Boyish: Dior’s suede-lined jackets and navy donkey jacket.
• Tall and skinny: Lanvin’s amazing skirts will do justice to any tall, skinny person.
• Short: Elie Saab’s chiffon and sequinned jersey dresses and fabulous platform sandals.
• Athletic: Raf Simons’ collection for Jil Sander.
• Curvaceous: I strongly suggest liposuction to fit into most of this season’s collections!
How to shop ’til you drop…
Long legs, glowing skin, perfect posture and a rich husband.
The personal stylist and author
Where to get what in Dubai…
Shoes: Saks – its new Louboutin concession just opened. Kurt Geiger is a great high street alternative.
Accessories: Sophie’s Closet: the Gossip Girl head bands are divine. Bloomingdale’s costume jewellery: check out Oytun’s designs.
Haute high street: Zara or H&M for the best versions of the trends.
’70s-inspired vintage jewels: Garderobe and Toujourchic. Fleurt in Mercato Mall has some ’70s-style (non-authentic) items.
Make the most of your new season shopping…
1 Edit your wardrobe first to see what you may need.
2 Do your homework: check the collections online first.
3 Think CPW (cost per wear): if you will use it a lot, it’s worth investing in.
Key buys for spring/summer
• Extreme wedges
• A short playsuit
• A minimalist maxi dress
• Wide-legged jeans
The personal image consultant and trainer
Rana’s spring/summer style guide
• Shop for items that you can layer to add interest. Crochet and lace tops or vests in white or neutrals are perfect over this season’s fruity, fluorescent colours.
• Experiment with this season’s clashing prints. Mix floral or leopard with stripes or polka dots.
• Invest in summer boots: pair them with long skirts and dresses for a bohemian look or tuck your flowy, floral pants into them for a modern twist.
Get the right bright…
• Fair-skinned blondes: to avoid getting washed out, wear a vibrant colour on the bottom half or add the colour with your accessories.
• Redheads: purples, greens and blues will bring out the red in your hair and add vibrancy to your look.
• Dark-skinned brunettes: deep skin tones can wear all vibrant colours, including spring’s electric and flouro palette.
Three wardrobe essentials
1 Breezy maxi dresses with deep-cut V-necks.
2 ’60s-inspired sheath dresses.
3 Midi skirts that hit right below the knee.
The personal shopping manager, Bloomingdale’s
5 ways to get on trend…
1 Colour blocking: Diane Von Furstenberg’s bold-coloured skirt and blouse.
2 Stripes: Gryphon and Mason striped tops
3 Bold prints: Blumarine Girl maxi dress
4’70s style: Dries Van Noten wide-legged white jeans
5 Slouchy blazers and pants: 3.1 Phillip Lim pants and trench cardigan
Pick of the collections
• Phillip Lim – easy to wear and the light fabrics are great for Dubai.
• Dries Van Noten – the boldly printed blouses and wide-legged pants nail the ’70s trend
• Alexander McQueen – feminine yet edgy; great bold prints.
• Brian Atwood – the blush pinks and cobalt blues are right on trend.
So last season...
Ditch leopard prints and leggings, but keep bright colours.