As an area, The Walk at JBR is no secret – the restaurants and beach are always heaving with people, and Ferraris and Lamborghinis regularly cruise up and down the (annoyingly) one-way street. In many ways it’s Dubai’s catwalk – the promenade is unrivalled as a people-watching destination. However, the area also contains some great shops, particularly homewares stores, on the strip (and on the plaza levels above it). Here are our favourites.
Indigo Expressive Living
USP: This homewares store is originally from Hong Kong and sells an eclectic range of quirky pop-style Asian designs, from neon-coloured panda canvases to giant Buddha heads.
Why go? The JBR branch is a true hidden gem – it’s offering 75 per cent off everything in store right now. Yes, everything. All prices quoted here are after the discount.
Where? Sadaf, plaza level (04 428 1350).
1. Chair made from reclaimed wood from a 1928 Yangtze River boat, Dhs747.50
2. Red monk, Dhs64.75
3. Steamer trunks, Dhs922.50
4. Clock, Dhs422.50
5. Giant Buddha with four faces, Dhs347
USP: This quirky store focuses on chandeliers and lights from Italian luxury brands.
Why go? The volcanic stone tables sitting outside (pictured far right)are the highlight – they can survive temperatures of up to 100°C and cost around Dhs2,000.
Where? The Walk, Sadaf (04 427 0422).
1. Tiger mosaic from Kazakhstan, Dhs7,000
2. Ping pong ball lamp, Dhs680
3. Modern chandelier, Dhs2,800
USP: Designer, designer, designer.
Why go? This gorgeous three-level store has everything a fashion fan needs – from shoes to chairs and bags to evening gowns.
Where? Opposite The Ritz Carlton, The Walk (04 425 7888).
1. Mulberry bag, Dhs3,850
2. Tibi dress, Dhs1,942 (with 30 per cent off)
3. Mr Hare shoes, Dhs1,125 (with 50 per cent off)
Mood and Singways
USP: Two shops in one, Mood sells high-end designer gifts and homewares, while Singways offers high-design-inspired goods made in China (the store representative assures us that they’re still of good quality).
Why go? To snap up quirky homewares items that you won’t find in every other store in Dubai. Also, there’s a Paul café in store – pastries are always a welcome addition to any shopping experience.
Where? Opposite The Ritz Carlton, The Walk (04 437 6488).
1. Lightbulb vases, Dhs57 for the larger size, Dhs32 for the smaller size
2. Golden gnome, Dhs301
3. Baci Milano outdoor tray, Dhs87, and glasses, Dhs32 each
4. Terracotta sculptures from Brazil, made with all-natural pigments, Dhs568
5. Seletti porcelain bowl, Dhs641
USP: Romantic, feminine interiors.
Why go? This locally owned one-off store is perfect for anyone who loves floral material, floral sofas and cushions with, erm, flowers on them. It’s shabby chic at its shabbiest and most chic.
Where? Sadaf 4, The Walk (04 438 0473).
1. Hanging candle holder, Dhs480
2. Antica Farmacista room fragrances, Dhs160
3. Bird cushion, Dhs165, and floral cushion, Dhs245
4. Floral chair, Dhs9,440