Made all the banana bread you can possibly eat? Still have ripe bananas. Marina Social Dubai’s head chef Will Stanyer shares a comforting banana pudding with lashings of toffee sauce.
• 300g soft dark sugar
• 285g unsalted butter
• 3 medium eggs
• 300g plain white flour
• 20g baking powder
• 330g chopped banana
• Pinch of sea salt flakes
• Cream together the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon or a kitchen mixer with a paddle attachment.
• Add the eggs slowly, one by one, ensuring each one has been incorporated to the mix before adding the next.
• Now add the rest of the ingredients and mix to a smooth batter.
• Transfer to a none-stick, greased baking tray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 170˚C, using a cake tester or thin metal skewer to test that it is cooked.
• To serve, allow the pudding to cool until it is warm enough to handle.
• Cut it into rectangles using a serrated knife and serve with a generous amount of the toffee sauce.
• Drain the dates and serve these on the side, and add a scoop of your favourite ice cream.
Toffee sauce ingredients:
• 150g unsalted butter
• 150g dark soft sugar
• 150g double cream
• Melt the sugar and butter together in a pan.
• Add the double cream and bring to a boil.
• Whisk until smooth and serve hot.
Earl Grey dates:
• 125g dates
• 250ml water
• 50g wugar
• 1 Earl Grey tea bag
• Boil the water and sugar and infuse the Earl grey tea into this for five minutes.
• While still hot, pour over the dates to rehydrate them.
For more recipes visit timeoutdubai.com/topics/recipes.