Dubai’s Cassette café has shared the recipe for its roasted butternut squash and kale salad with an orange dressing.
Summery, fresh and zingy, this recipe is packed full of flavour making for a healthy and wholesome meal.
Ingredients for the salad:
• 2 red onions, each cut into four thick rings
• 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
• 8 small wedges of butternut squash (about 250g)
• 2 tsp rapeseed oil
• ½ tsp caraway seeds
• 30g baby kale
• 50g pomegranate seeds (about a quarter of a large fruit)
• 50g feta, crumbled
• Butternut squash shavings, to garnish
• Red radish shavings, to garnish
Ingredients for the dressing:
• 1 orange
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
• Preheat the oven to 180°C.
• Toss the onions, garlic and butternut squash in the oil, then arrange in a single layer on a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes.
• Remove the garlic and set aside, turn onions and butternut squash over with a fish slice, sprinkle the caraway seeds on top and return to the oven for another ten minutes.
• To make the dressing, pare the zest from half the orange and put in a bowl. Cut the peel and pith from the orange with a sharp knife. Working over the bowl to catch the juices, cut out the segments from between the membrane. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and pumpkin seeds. Discard the skin of the roasted garlic, mash the soft cloves, and add to the bowl. Stir well.
• Pile the roasted vegetables onto a platter, top with butternut squash shavings, orange and kale, then spoon over the dressing and toss. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds, feta, and red radish shavings and serve.
If you’re looking for more tasty salad dishes to whip up at home, head here.